· California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA
· Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering, 1988
· California Registered Professional Engineer, License No. C50647
· Structural Engineering Certification Board (SECB), No. 1226-0306
· Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC), Member
· International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO), Member
· American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Member
· Lampman & Smith Engineers, San Luis Obispo, CA - Project Engineer
· STB Engineers, Newport Beach, CA - Project Engineer
· John Oeltman Structural Engineers, Santa Barbara, CA - Project Engineer
· Thom Hume Consulting Engineers, Inc, San Luis Obispo, CA - Director
Thom Hume has been directly responsible for engineering thousands of structures since beginning his engineering career over twenty years ago. Thom first started working in the construction industry at a young age, following in the footsteps of his father, a contractor in the Ventura and San Luis Obispo Counties.
After several years of contracting, Thom was accepted into California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, a school renowned for its architectural and engineering programs. Even before completing his degree, Thom began engineering structures for a local firm. After a few years, Thom felt it necessary to relocate to Southern California, in order to get the experience of larger projects, before finally moving back to San Luis Obispo with his wife Debbie, and starting his own practice in 1993.
Since then, Thom’s pursuit of efficiency, perfection and a job well done has made Thom Hume Consulting Engineers, Inc. one of the most sought after engineering firms in the area by professionals and homeowners alike. Learning the construction process from a builder’s perspective prior to becoming an engineer has provided Thom with an understanding of the importance of clear and easy-to-build structural plans.